CLINTON — A Clinton man died following a house fire at his home early Tuesday morning.

DeWitt County Coroner Randy Rice said Douglas C. Fleming, 83, died as a result of the fire at 321 S. Walnut that was reported shortly before 2 a.m. Fleming was pronounced dead at the Dr. John Warner Hospital at 2:32 a.m.

Fleming’s son, Michael, also suffered light burns to his neck. Another man, whose name was not released, suffered smoke inhalation.

Fire Chief Shawn Milton said the Clinton Fire Department was called at 1:52 a.m.

“When we arrived, we found smoke coming from the residence with three gentlemen outside directing us to where the injured man was located,” he said.

The preliminary report indicates the fire was started by a pan of grease, Milton said. The fire is still under investigation by the Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Office, the Clinton Fire Department and Clinton Police.

The interior of the home suffered heavy smoke and heat damage, Milton said. Preliminary estimates place the damage at about $15,000.

The Kenney and Wapella Fire Departments assisted. Firemen were on the scene for about three hours.

This story will be updated.