DECATUR – A 23-year-old Decatur man is being held in jail on $100,000 bond on multiple charges for allegedly threatening to kill a woman, attempting to run over her boyfriend with his truck, crashing his truck into a house and leaving the scene of the accident.

About 1:30 p.m. Monday, Shane H. Jones began sending text messages to a 22-year-old woman, which included: “you never know if somebody will run into ur house when u aint there shoot your dog and ransack your house,” and “somebody might fill uall gas tank with sugar … ima spit in ur face next time I see u out,” said a probable cause affidavit by Decatur patrol officer Chad Reed.

Jones was then seen at 6:55 p.m. Monday in the vicinity of West Center Street and North Woodlawn Avenue by a 26-year-old man, the boyfriend of the woman Jones was allegedly harassing. The boyfriend, who saw Jones driving a white Chevrolet Colorado truck, went to the area to fight Jones, the affidavit said.

As the man stood on the shoulder of the roadway, “(Jones) drove south on Woodlawn” toward him. “(Jones) continued to accelerate while traveling toward him on Woodlawn,” then “swerved his vehicle in an attempt to strike him with the vehicle.”

The 26-year-old man told police he had to dive from the path of Jones's vehicle “to avoid being struck.”

Jones “then lost control of the vehicle, left the west side of the roadway and struck the front porch of the residence” in the 1400 block of North Westlawn Avenue, “causing damage to the property.”

The police recovered the front license plate and side mirror from Jones's truck, which fell to the ground as a result of the crash.

A witness told police “the driver of the vehicle clearly swerved with the intent to strike” the victim. The woman who received the text messages also identified Jones as the one who crashed the truck.

As police took Jones into custody in connection with the harassment case, “officers observed (Jones) in close proximity to the truck, walking toward his residence from the truck, and (Jones) had a fresh abrasion to the left side of his face consistent with being in a traffic crash.”

Reed noted that Jones's driver's license was suspended, his vehicle registration was suspended because of a mandatory insurance violation, he left the scene of an accident and failed to notify police of the accident.

Jones is serving a one-year conditional discharge term for aggravated assault, in a 2015 case in which he threatened a victim with a knife.

Jones, who is being held on charges of aggravated assault and harassment via electronic communication, is due in court for his arraignment by Tuesday.


Staff Writer

Staff Writer for the Herald & Review.