DECATUR – Brad S. Creason, a 46-year-old parolee released from prison in December, is back in custody for allegedly crashing into three separate vehicles and fleeing the scenes of all the accidents, while his blood-alcohol level was almost twice the legal limit for driving.

In his effort to evade a victim who pursued him, police said Creason deliberately rammed one of the vehicles that was stopped at a downtown red light.

He is being held in jail on $30,000 bond, facing one felony count of criminal damage to property, one count of driving under the influence and six traffic citations.

About 8:15 a.m. Jan. 17, Creason was driving a black pickup truck, heading south under the Jasper Street underpass, just north of Eldorado Street, when he crashed into the rear of another vehicle, said a probable cause affidavit by Decatur patrol officer Robert Hull.

“When that vehicle pulled to the side of the roadway, Creason left the scene of the accident without providing any aid or giving any information to the driver,” Hull wrote in his statement.

Less than a mile away, Creason rear-ended another vehicle on East Eldorado, near North Franklin Street. Once again, he failed to stop his truck.

Instead he turned left onto Franklin Street, heading south on the street which is designated as one-way northbound.

As he traveled westbound in the 100 block of East William Street, Creason noticed that the victim of the second hit-and-run crash was following him.

To evade that driver, “Creason, who was stopped at a red light, at William and Main, deliberately rammed the vehicle stopped at the light in front of him twice, which was occupied by a woman over 60 years old.

“After shoving that vehicle forward, Creason drove around it and fled south on Main Street, then west on Prairie Street,” said an affidavit by patrol officer Gary McConnell.

The woman's vehicle sustained damage estimated at more than $500, causing the intentional collision to be classified as a felony.

About 15 minutes later, officer Cory Barrows located Creason and his vehicle at Church and Decatur streets. He was administered field sobriety tests, which he was unable to pass, police said.

“Creason stated that he was drunk,” Hull wrote in his statement, adding that his breath contained a strong alcohol odor.

His breath analysis in the jail indicated a blood-alcohol content of 0.159 percent, a hair below double the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

Creason has served seven prison terms since 1998, including two for armed robbery, one for robbery and one for possession of a firearm by a felon. He is due in court Feb. 8 for his preliminary hearing.


Staff Writer

Staff Writer for the Herald & Review.