Deshon D. Graves

Police are looking for a suspect in the shooting death of Arcarius Anderson: Deshon D. Graves, 19 years old, 5 feet, 5 inches tall, 150 pounds. He is wanted on charges of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 217 423-8477 or 424-2711. More

DECATUR – The arrest of a 21-year-old parolee for allegedly lying to police in connection with the shooting death of 22-year-old Arcarius Anderson has generated an affidavit that sheds light on what occurred outside a near northside bar early Saturday.

Police said Gavarius T. Carney was the driver of the vehicle Anderson was riding in when Anderson left the vehicle, suffered the fatal bullet wound, and then returned to the same vehicle, said an affidavit by Decatur police detective Bryan Kaylor.

Carney initially gave false statements to the police about his relationship with Anderson and whether he was associated with the vehicle, Kaylor wrote in his statement.

Anderson, who was shot to death shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday in the parking lot of Jabroni's bar, died of a single bullet wound to the neck, according to the report from the autopsy conducted at the McLean County morgue Saturday.

Decatur police officers were in the vicinity of the 1800 block of North Water Street on Saturday when they heard the sounds of gunshot near Jabroni's bar, said a police news release.

When they arrived on the scene, officers “quickly located a handgun and bullet casings” in the parking lot.

Many people were quickly leaving the area in vehicles and on foot as police arrived.

A few minutes later, Anderson arrived in the emergency room of nearby Decatur Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:35 a.m.

Police investigating the incident interviewed several people and reviewed surveillance video from Jabroni's, 1816 N. Water St.

The video footage “shows Gavarius T. Carney to be the driver of a reddish-colored vehicle.” It shows Anderson leaving the vehicle and then re-entering the same vehicle after he was shot, according to the affidavit. Carney never left the vehicle.

Carney initially told police he first entered the vehicle after Anderson was shot and that the individual who had been driving it fled from the vehicle.

“Carney provided multiple false statements to patrol officers and detectives,” Kaylor wrote in his statement.

After he was shown the surveillance tape, Carney changed his statements. He was arrested on a felony charge of obstructing justice.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

A suspect in the shooting, 19-year-old Deshon D. Graves, is wanted by police. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Carney, who has three prior felony convictions and has served three prior prison sentences, was released from prison July 2, after serving one-and-a-half years of a three-year burglary sentence.

He is being held on $30,000 bond, pending his arraignment in his most recent case by Nov. 10.



Staff Writer

Staff Writer for the Herald & Review.