NEW YORK — Aaron Boone's hiring was finalized Monday by the New York Yankees, who gave the ESPN broadcaster a three-year contract to succeed Joe Girardi as manager.
New York, which picked Boone over five other candidates last week, scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. His deal contains a team option for 2021.
"I firmly believe that Aaron possesses the attributes needed to follow in the tradition of great Yankees managers," owner Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. "From all accounts, he is a polished communicator who possesses the ability to cultivate and grow relationships. Aaron has also spent a lifetime immersed in baseball, affording him a unique and intimate understanding of what fosters team success."
Now 44, Boone has never been a manager or even a coach at any level since retiring as a player after the 2009 season. His 11th-inning home run off Boston's Tim Wakefield won Game 7 of the 2003 AL Championship Series for the Yankees against Boston.
"Aaron's name is already etched into Yankees history," Steinbrenner said. "This opportunity will allow him to continue to make a positive impact on this organization in distinctly new and meaningful ways."
Ohtani shortens list
NEW YORK — Japanese pitcher and outfielder Shohei Ohtani has cut the field of major league teams he is considering to five clubs on the West Coast plus the Chicago Cubs and Texas Rangers.
The Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco, San Diego and Seattle all remain in contention.
Several teams said Sunday they were told they had been eliminated, and the seven remaining were confirmed Monday to The Associated Press by a pair of people familiar with the choices. They spoke on condition of anonymity because not all teams had announced whether they were in or out.
Ohtani is limited to a minor league contract because of restrictions imposed by the MLB collective bargaining agreement. The Rangers have the largest signing bonus amount remaining among the teams he is considering at $3,535,000, followed by the Mariners ($1,557,500) and Angels ($1,315,000). The Cubs, Dodgers and Giants are restricted to $300,000 maximums in the signing period through June 15 as penalties for exceeding their bonus pools in 2015-16 and the Padres are limited to $300,000 for going over in 2016-17.
Vizquel hired in minors
CHICAGO — Omar Vizquel has been hired by the Chicago White Sox to manage their Winston-Salem farm team in the Class A Carolina League.
A three-time All-Star and 11-time Gold Glove shortstop, the 50-year-old spent the past four seasons as Detroit's first base, infield and base-running coach.
He appeared in 2,968 games over 24 major league seasons with Seattle (1989-93), Cleveland (1994-04), San Francisco (2005-08), Texas (2009), the White Sox (2010-11) and Toronto (2012).
Vizquel has the second-highest career fielding percentage among shortstops with at least 1,000 games at .985 and is the career leader in games at shortstop with 2,709.
HALL OF FAME
Brett, Carew part of committee
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Hall of Fame players George Brett, Rod Carew, Dennis Eckersley, Don Sutton, Dave Winfield and Robin Yount will be on the 16-man committee that decides Sunday if anyone formerly passed over for Cooperstown will now get elected.
Steve Garvey, Jack Morris and Tommy John are among the 10 candidates being considered for enshrinement, along with longtime players' union head Marvin Miller. Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons, Luis Tiant and Alan Trammell also are on the Modern Baseball Era ballot, which recognizes those whose biggest contributions came from 1970-87.
Seventy-five percent — 12 votes — are needed for election. Results will be announced at the winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The Hall said Monday that two other Hall of Famers, former Atlanta manager Bobby Cox and current Braves vice chairman John Schuerholz, also are on the committee.
Preller given 3 more years
SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres have given general manager A.J. Preller a three-year contract extension through the 2022 season.
Preller's original contract, signed when he was hired on Aug. 6, 2014, was to have run through 2019.
The extension was announced Sunday.
Preller is currently presiding over a deep rebuild of the Padres, who haven't been to the playoffs since 2006 and have had a losing record for seven straight years and nine of the last 10.
The Padres chose to go with a rebuild with young players after failing with a quick fix in 2015 with high-priced veterans.
In a statement, owners Ron Fowler and Peter Seidler said Preller "is a tireless worker who possesses one of the brightest minds in the game. We have no doubt that he is the right man to lead our baseball operations group into the future."