H&R file photo 1895 This photo taken about 1895, is of the Illinois Central Station built in 1856. It was known as the Union Depot and served Decatur until it was torn down in 1901. It stood in the southwest corner of the railroad intersection. It also served as depot for the TW&W Railroad. The building was also the Illinois Central Hotel and in addition to the dining room and lunch counter there was a saloon. The station was managed by a man by the name of White. The small tower in the foreground was for the towerman, William 'Billy' King, who handled the gates across the tracks. The new station was built on the west side of the Illinois Central track.