Who do you recognize?
1946: The 68 members of the Garfield Glee club, from the intermediate department at the Garfield school presented a cantata, "T'was the Night Before Christmas" as the feature of the school's Christmas program. the glee club directors are Miss Virginia Schoby, 5B teacher; Miss Vera Miller, 4B teacher and the pianist is Maythel Fairweather, 4B teacher.
1973: United Auto Workers Local 751 are being provided with bean soup prepared in the Union Hall. Supervising were from left, Dale Mentzer, Ron Gillespie, Richard Roderick and Grady Davis.
1988: Merle Pasley packs up three orders of food at the United Auto Workers Local 751 food pantry.
1969: United Grain Farmers of America tractor marchers move through Washington, D.C., completing a trek from Illinois. Some went to the Capitol and met with Illinois congressmen.
1962: Without audience or fanfare, the last bus left the Transfer House. There was one passenger aboard. Buses will start loading and unloading passengers on North Water and E. William Streets.
1936: New buses of the Decatur City Lines, which will replace the IP&L Corp. transportation system, were displayed to downtown shoppers at Central Park.
1932: Decatur Brewing Co. located at 604-611 E. Cantrell St.
1956: Decatur Brewing Co. building, show in 1956 as Decatur Bottling co., will be sold at auction.
1905: Decatur Brewing Co. draft horses.
1991: Paul McSparin of Marian helps Jason Stazio of Janesville, Wis. stretch his pitching arm for baseball camp.
1989: Ben McCauley, 4, and Charlies McCauley, 7, look over a baseball card exhibit at the Decatur Civic Center. Ben has 48 cards in his collection, Charlies, more than 100. The boys are the sons of Chuck and Brenda McCauley of Mount Zion.
1990: Ron Daniels of Bellerive and Matt Cardinal, 12, of Decatur check out the selection during a Baseball Card Trade Day at Johns Hill Senior Center. Some 50 people, mostly youngsters, spent Sunday afternoon trading baseball cards during the Decatur Recreation Department-sponsored event.
1985: Jack Corum looks over the stock at the baseball card, comic book and record show in Decatur at the Best Western Shelton Motor Inn.
1923: Fans crowd in front of a Playograph, a mechanical device, used to illustrate the progress of World Series play during the 1920s. This is a picture of the fans gathered in front of the Herald building in 1923. The Yankees were playing the Giants.
1958: Decatur City buses used Central Park as a transfer point. The change from the Transfer House to Central Park accompanied the new one-way street plan. The buses recently returned to the Transfer House.
1939: Mrs. Henry Ball, shown with one of her three sons, has lived with her family in this tent, alongside the goat shed, since their cabin burned. The family is happy and thriving.
1935: Leaders in the Decatur housing campaign participated in the national observance of Housing Day to spur interest in the federal government's offer of loans to home builders. President J.J. Maloney of the Association of Commerce is shown turning the first spadeful of dirt for one of three new homes, all being built with federal funds.
1960: Russell F. Housman, 32-year-old Decatur artist, shows one of his new abstract paintings to his wife, right, and her mother, Mrs. Robert Yanover of New York City.
1992: Joe Houston, president of the Near West Restoration and Preservation Society, expects the new Thrift Shop location at Monroe and Wood streets to give the neighborhood a needed boost. The shop offers second-hand clothing and household items is operated by the Decatur Memorial Hospital Auxiliary.
1952: An administration building recreation room is put to regular use by the adult club, pictured here and other recreation groups. Here couples pair off for a weekly dance. The number of old pension families in the project makes an Oldsters club popular.
1942: Children of the war-worker families that live in the Longview Place housing project flocked gleefully to the playground area and practically had to stand in line to get a turn at the new slides and swings and rings as the area was opened for the first time. The use of the play area, in a court near the administration building, is restricted to children of families in the project, now numbering over 270, one member of which must be a worker in some certified war job.
1986: Second-year apprentices Steven Peters, left, and Kevin Roberts mount a display sink in the Plumbers, Pipefitters and Steamfitters apprentice school.
1957: Sangster Plum, one of the co-founders of Plum's Apparel Inc., 135 N. Water St., shows Dr. J. Foster F. Waltz how the suit Waltz bought from in 1907 is similar to today's suit styles.
1934: With a long summer vacation ahead, Decatur children swarmed to nine playground centers as they opened for a 10 week season. The group receiving equipment at Johns Hill was typical of early morning crowds at all centers. Still more came later. In the truck, E.J. Muffley, recreation director, is distributing equipment. At the right is Hank Gill, Johns Hill director. Miss Flora Mae Van Cleve is his assistant.
1973: Plowing with real horsepower is a feature of Horse Farming Days at Rockome Gardens.
1975: These tractors were in the field over the weekend at the Kiick and Elwood farm, on Wyckles Road near Harristown. Bill Owen, who farms the property, recruited two of his friends to help get the plowing done.
1991: Steve Reining built a tree fort in his yard. From left, Neil Goodwin, Michelle Reining, Donnie Reining and Anna Goodwin hang out the back of the tree fort.
1955: Polar Service Co. has lived up to its name by chilling a variety of items from cream to bear since this plant was built in 1910.
A 3,000 horsepower snow plow is inspected in Decatur in 1977. The equipment, which belonged to the Union Pacific Railroad Co., was used to help clear the Norfolk & Western Railway Co. main line between Decatur and Chicago.
1988: Tom Beasley of rural Tuscola now works at the United AgriSeeds crop research center in Savoy.
The union depot built at the junction of the Illinois Central and Wabash railroads is shown in 1921. It served Decatur until the turn of the century.
1992: Everything old is new again at the Play It Again Sports Store. The management team includes Larry and Sylvia Baker and son Brian.
Decatur food pantries have long been an important lifeline to those in need, but the economic "pause button" pressed by the coronavirus pandemic has made their role even more crucial.
Think you're a Decatur trivia master? Test your skill by clicking "PLAY QUIZ"
Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.