Subscribe for 33¢ / day

DECATUR – Travis South, a 22-year-old man who previously served jail time for punching a woman in the face, is back in jail after he allegedly broke into a residence and battered a couple.

Police were sent to an apartment in the 1400 block of East Olive Street at about 8 p.m. Jan. 30, on the report of a domestic battery incident.

The victims, both in their 30s, suffered lacerations, which they attributed to an attack by South.

The male victim “had two large gashes above his right and left eyes which were actively bleeding,” said a probable cause affidavit by Decatur patrol officer Noel Crystal. He was immediately transported by ambulance to a hospital.

The female victim told police South broke into the residence through the front door, pushed her during an argument, “then hit her in the head with a closed fist an unknown amount of times.”

She suffered a half-inch long laceration to the top of her head and facial injuries.

Crystal noted that there was damage to the door frame and the striker plate had been knocked from the frame.

At the hospital, the male victim told police South kicked in the door and engaged him in an argument. When he tried to walk away from South toward another room, he hit him in the back.

Medical personnel told police the victim “would require several stitches to close the gashes above his eyes.”

When South was located at another residence, he told police that was leaving the residence “after the fight,” when the man slammed the front door on him.” Then “he turned around and kicked the door, causing it to open and split the frame.”

South was booked into the Macon County Jail, where he is being held on $10,000 bond. He was arraigned Tuesday on one count of aggravated battery/great bodily harm, three counts of domestic battery with a prior domestic battery conviction and one count of criminal damage to property.

In his prior domestic battery case on Nov. 18, 2012, South threatened to pour hot water on a 2-year-old girl, the daughter of a 25-year-old woman. When the girl's mother stepped forward to protect her daughter, South poured hot water on the woman, with the toddler right behind her.

South then “punched her in the face with a closed fist,” said a police affidavit. When two men tried to remove South from the residence, South placed one of them in a headlock and tried to punch him in the face. He was sentenced to 12 days in jail in that case, as part of a plea deal. He was initially also charged with endangering the life or health of a child.

In his most recent case, he is due in court Feb. 22 for a preliminary hearing.


Staff Writer

Staff Writer for the Herald & Review.