{{featured_button_text}}
William S. Dillman Sr.

William S. Dillman Sr. 

DECATUR — William S. Dillman Sr., who is pleading not guilty to sexually assaulting a girl under the age of 13, won a pretrial victory Tuesday when a judge ruled prosecutors won’t be allowed to call a second female victim to testify about sexual abuse she said she suffered at his hands nearly 30 years ago.

Macon County Circuit Court Judge Thomas Griffith agreed with the arguments of defense attorney Gary Geisler who said the second victim’s claims were too prejudicial to a fair trial for the 59-year-old Decatur man. Dillman, free on $20,000 bond, faces one charge of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and at the end of Tuesday’s hearing rejected a jury trial in favor of a bench trial before Griffith, who set the trial date for Oct. 9.

The charge against Dillman dates to November 2018 when he was arrested by Decatur police after a pre-teen girl said he fondled her breasts. Assistant Macon County State’s Attorney Kate Kurtz said the second victim, a 41-year-old woman, had come forward after news broke of the child’s allegations against Dilllman.

Assumption first responders honored for saving Decatur woman from sinking SUV

This woman said she had been the victim of a series of sexual assaults when she was the same age as the child. She had told her mother, she said, but police had not been informed at the time. Kurtz argued that allowing the woman to speak now would help the prosecution establish “the defendant’s propensity to commit sex offenses.”

Geisler counter-argued that the offenses alleged by the older woman were more serious and bore little similarity to what is being alleged today. He said the woman was only talking to police now because “she is trying to affect the outcome of this case” and that was unfair to Dillman.

Making his ruling, Thomas said he had carefully reviewed the details involved and concluded the “probative value (of the older woman’s evidence) is outweighed by the prejudicial effect.”


2019 mug shots from the Herald & Review 

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid

0
0
0
0
0

Macon County Courts Reporter

Macon County courts reporter for the Herald & Review.

Load comments