DECATUR — Wesley A. Tyson was scheduled Thursday to be sentenced to 25 years in prison for raping and sexually abusing two girls under 13, but the proceedings were derailed by news he was involved in another criminal investigation.

Neither Assistant State’s Attorney Kate Kurtz or Tyson’s public defender, Timothy Tighe, would comment after the hearing on the nature of the incomplete investigation.

But Kurtz told Judge Thomas Griffith she did not want the Decatur man’s sentencing to proceed before that investigation was finished.

Griffith told the court there had been a brief conference Thursday between himself and the prosecution and defense about the new investigation, which he said “really, no one knew about,” and what to do about it. He described the probe as “somewhat unrelated” to Tyson’s felony sex charges and he said Kurtz had said it would not affect the plea deal worked out with Tyson.

Kurtz told the court that remained her position: “I have zero concern about this plea (Tyson’s) ... but ... I think that it is in everyone’s best interest for it (the investigation) to be completed and for the defendant to understand where that stands,” Kurtz added.

On Sept. 25 the 41-year-old Tyson pleaded guilty to one count of predatory criminal sexual assault, a Class X felony, and a charge of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, a Class 2 felony. The sentencing deal dictates he will serve 22 years in prison for the first charge and an additional three years on the second charge, the prison terms to run consecutively.

In return for the plea, the court dismissed 12 additional charges of predatory criminal sexual assault along with 10 charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. One count of child pornography was also dismissed.

Prosecutors said Tyson had come into contact with his girl victims through his dating relationship with a woman. The rape and sexual assault charges covered a period from Nov. 2010 to January 2018.

Griffith rescheduled the sentencing hearing for Nov. 29, when victim impact statements will be read. Tyson remains held in custody at the Macon County Jail.

2018 mug shots from the Herald & Review

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid


Macon County Courts Reporter

Macon County courts reporter for the Herald & Review.

Load comments