You are the owner of this article.
Decatur prisoner who tried to run gets another 7 years on his sentence

Decatur prisoner who tried to run gets another 7 years on his sentence


DECATUR — Terrance J. Wilson, who just started serving a 10-year sentence for armed robbery in Decatur, will now serve an additional seven years for an escape attempt that involved squirting a guard in the face with a cocktail of cleaning fluid and Wilson’s urine.

That break for freedom had happened at the Macon County Courthouse on April 4, 2018, after Wilson, 26, had just been sentenced after pleading guilty to the armed robbery charge.

Wilson had secreted a squirt bottle of the caustic cocktail in his pants and pulled it out and sprayed corrections officer Corey Maloney with it as he was being led back to the adjoining Macon County Jail. Maloney gave chase even as Wilson hurled concrete blocks at him and subsequently caught Wilson after shooting him with a stun gun. Maloney and several other officers involved in the capture later received letters of commendation.

Wilson was originally scheduled to be sentenced March 7 for the escape attempt by Judge Thomas Griffith, who presided over his robbery sentencing. But that sentencing was delayed over Wilson’s objections that Griffith and Maloney knew each other and were Facebook friends.

Fellow Judge Jeffrey Geisler presided at a new sentence hearing May 31 that involved Wilson accepting a plea deal negotiated by his attorney, Tiffany Senger.

Wilson received the seven-year sentence after pleading guilty to a charge of aggravated battery. He received two additional seven-year sentences after also pleading guilty to an additional count of aggravated battery and a charge of escape, and a three-year sentence after he admitted a charge of aggravated resisting a peace officer.

Geisler ordered that all the new sentences were to run concurrent to each other, but consecutive to the 10-year robbery sentence.

In police interviews in the aftermath of his escape, Wilson said he had been inspired to try and run after seeing his mother weeping in the courtroom while he was being sentenced for the robbery, according to court documents. 

Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News