Try 1 month for 99¢

DECATUR — A gunman who took aim and fired three shots at a fleeing man on a Decatur street is now facing multiple charges, police said.

The 30-year-old man was arrested Saturday night and booked on preliminary charges of the aggravated discharge of a firearm, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a weapon by a felon. Preliminary charges are subject to review by the Macon County State’s Attorney’s Office.

'What you did was evil': Gunman who ambushed Decatur motorist gets 65-year prison sentence

A sworn affidavit from Decatur police said the shooting incident happened the night of Sept. 2 when patrol officers encountered a 41-year-old man who said he been shot at three times after leaving a liquor store on East Wood Street. The victim, who police said told them he had been arrested previously for committing battery and robbery against the accused shooter, said he had tried to flee because he feared there would be trouble.

A sworn affidavit in the case described the victim as explaining how he looked back to see the gunman taking careful aim: “He describes (the gunman) as holding his left arm up, pointing a firearm at him,” officer Brent Morey said. “He stated he heard a ‘pop’ and saw the muzzle flash. He stated he ducked down and heard a ‘ping’ as if the bullet had struck a nearby vehicle.”

Morey said victim, who was then running, heard two more “pops ... which he identified as shots being fired.” The man was not listed in the affidavit as being injured.

Police said the victim identified a person with the accused gunman, which led them to an address in the 900 block of East Main Street, where they arrested a 37-year-old man who had a .38-caliber handgun.

2 Decatur men face attempted murder charges in August 2017 shooting

Morey said this man told them he had been with the accused shooter when the shots were fired, and the shooter, described as “frantic,” had handed him the gun to get rid of. The man said he was trying to do that when police arrived and arrested him.

The man who police said was found with the gun faces preliminary charges of possession of a weapon by felon, resisting a peace officer and no firearm owner's identification card. He was being held on $40,000 bond.

The accused shooter remained in the Macon County Jail on Monday night in lieu of $250,000 bond.


2018 MUG SHOTS FROM THE HERALD & REVIEW

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid

0
0
0
0
0

Macon County Courts Reporter

Macon County courts reporter for the Herald & Review.

Load comments