DECATUR — The 60-year-old man at the center of an armed siege in Dalton City appeared in court in Decatur on Wednesday, pleading not guilty to charges of aggravated stalking and violating a protection order.
Albert E. Kimber is now being held in the Macon County Jail following a warrant issued for his arrest June 15. Prosecutors said he had sent angry text messages to his former girlfriend, the woman he is accused of menacing at gunpoint in her home along with her current boyfriend.
They had managed to flee and then Kimber was locked in a five-hour siege with the Moultrie County Sheriff’s Office and state police. State police Special Agent Daniel Rossiter testified during a Macon County Circuit Court hearing that Kimber later said he had planned to have police shoot and kill him.
But, giving himself up, he was arrested and charged with home invasion, aggravated unlawful restraint and possession of a weapon by a felon.
Kimber had been freed on $50,000 bond June 12, according to Macon County State’s Attorney Jay Scott, and fired off several text messages. One was sent to the woman while she was in Decatur, leading to the new prosecution in Macon County.
People are also reading…
The messages told his ex-girlfriend that he had to pay $5,000 to get out of jail, faced the prospect of “five years in prison” and added, “Hope you are happy; you have completely destroyed my life.”
Defense attorney Jon Erickson argued that the messages didn’t meet the legal standard of stalking or threats and there was no proof Kimber had sent them. He also said there was “no evidence whatsoever” Kimber even knew the woman had an order of protection against him.
But Judge Rodney S. Forbes ruled there was probable cause to arraign Kimber and set a pretrial hearing for Sept. 6. He is due in court to face his Moultrie County charges Aug. 6.
If Kimber makes bail again, an order has been filed for him to be electronically monitored.
Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid