DECATUR — Jayden M. Michniewicz was drinking tequila with a 16-year-old boy in his Decatur bedroom when the child was fatally wounded, shot after the gun fired while it was being handed over to him, a police affidavit says.
Michniewicz’s 15-year-old brother is quoted as telling detectives he was also present in the room in the early hours of Saturday and heard the semi-automatic .380 pistol go off.
“...He heard a single gunshot and (said) that ‘Jayden was freaking out,’” said the affidavit, signed by Decatur Police Department Detective Jason Danner.
The victim, whose identity was released Monday, was named as Tremayne A.L. Bass. He was pronounced dead at 3:20 a.m. Saturday in the emergency room of Decatur Memorial Hospital after suffering a gunshot to the chest.
People are also reading…
Jayden Michniewicz, 18, is quoted as telling police he was “previously given” the silver-colored weapon from a source not identified in the affidavit.
“Mr. Michniewicz advised Mr. Bass wanted to see the gun,” said Danner. “Mr. Michniewicz said he retrieved the gun from a box near his bed and began to hand it to Mr. Bass. Mr. Michniewicz said Mr. Bass grabbed the gun and it went off and fired one round into the chest area of Mr. Bass.
“Mr. Michniewicz stated he lifted Mr. Bass’s shirt and located one single wound to the upper chest. Mr. Michniewicz said he then called emergency services and attempted life-saving measures until police and EMS arrived.”
Danner said the defendant didn’t try to hide what had happened and made “statements concerning being responsible for shooting Mr. Bass.”
Michniewicz appeared Monday in Macon County Circuit Court and was arraigned on a single charge of involuntary manslaughter. Judge Lindsey Shelton was told he had no financial resources and agreed to appoint a lawyer from the public defender’s office to represent him.
And, to audible sighs from the public gallery, she also agreed to grant the defendant pretrial release. The court hearing was around 2 p.m. and by 3:37 p.m. Macon County Jail records show he had been released from custody.
Michniewicz is due back in court for a preliminary hearing April 24 when he will enter a plea to the charge against him.
2023 mugshots from the Herald & Review
Lourash
Jeffrey L. Lourash, 57, took a plea deal on April 6, 2023, and admitted the first degree murder of his wife Tabitha Lourash, who was shot to death November 23 in their Warrensburg home. Lourash was sentenced in May of 2023 to 45 years in prison, to be served at 100%.
Hirstein
Steven L. Hirstein, 43, was arrested March 30, 2023, and booked on preliminary charges of attempted murder for a stabbing attack on his girlfriend. He is also charged with aggravated battery to police after allegedly attacking officers with a knife. He was shot and wounded several times by police but his wounds were not considered serious.
Phillip Gehrken
Phillip J. Gehrken, 52, of Forsyth, was sentenced to 50 years in prison March 28, 2023, after being convicted of the murder of 51-year-old victim Kevin Cooper on July 11, 2021.
Joseph A. Williams
Joseph A. Williams, convicted of the attempted murder of a Decatur Police officer, was sentenced 80 years in prison in June of 2023.
Jetrevius O. Jarrett
Jetrevius O. Jarrett is charged with first degree murder for allegedly shooting to death the photographer that took his family's Christmas pictures in 2021.
Edwards
Cameron C. Edwards, 19, of Cerro Gordo was sentenced to nine years in prison April 4, 2023, after pleading guilty to the unlawful possession of a stolen gun, attempted escape and burglary. He was part of a theft team that stole guns from cop cars.
King-Woods
Traveon Hightower King-Woods, 27, was sentenced to five years in prison March 22, 2023, after he admitted a charge of aggravated robbery. Police said he robbed a victim at gunpoint but then had to flee for his life when the victim chased him in a car. King-Woods accomplice and brother, Amieron L. Barham-Perkins, 20, pleaded guilty to an aggravated robbery charge and was sentenced to five years on January 17, 2023.
Wilson
Tyler J. Wilson, 23, was sentenced to 18 years in prison in Macon County Circuit Court April 26, 2023, after pleading guilty to a charge of armed violence.
Derrickson
Tiyren E. Derrickson, 28, was sentenced to eight years in prison May 18, 2023, after pleading guilty to a charge of burglary. He had raided the same Decatur church on consecutive days and stolen equipment valued at more than $20,000.
Colby J. Park
Colby J. Park, 25, was sentenced to a 24 month conditional discharge and ordered to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life after pleading guilty to the aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a 6-year-old boy by biting the child. The offense dates to October 7, 2018, and Park was sentenced May 19 of 2023.






