Here's a look at some of the key numbers in the district's history.
Year the first public school was built in Decatur, at west North Church and William streets. The building — called "Big Brick," Church Street School and Second Ward School over the years — was constructed two years after Illinois passed a law allowing for taxation for schools. It was torn down in May 1903 and replaced by Gastman School.
Consecutive years that Otto C. Keil was on the school board as of April 1958, when the then-new central office building at 101 W. Cerro Gordo St. was named the Keil Administration Building in his honor. It had been the Standard Oil office building.
Cost in 1909 dollars to build Decatur High School. The first graduating class consisted of 123 students. It was razed in 1977 and replaced with the Decatur Civic Center. Decatur High School was renamed Stephen Decatur High School by the school board in 1955 when the decision was made to build two new high schools, Dwight D. Eisenhower High School and Douglas MacArthur High School. Stephen Decatur High School moved to East Mound Road, opening there in fall 1975, and became a middle school in 2020.
School buildings in the district: A pre-kindergarten/early learning center, five kindergarten through sixth grade elementary schools, five kindergarten through eighth grade schools, one middle school, two high schools and one alternative education program.
Magnet schools in the district: Montessori Academy for Peace; American Dreamer STEM Academy; and Johns Hill Magnet School.
After years of the Decatur Running Club putting on the event, Feet Fleet hosted the 13th annual Sand Creek Trail Run to raise funds for the Special Operation Warrior Foundation, a nonprofit formed to aid children of fallen soldiers.
As one of four student ambassadors to the Decatur school board, Elizabeth Palagi hears the concerns of her fellow students at Eisenhower High School, concerns they ask her to take to the board for them.