Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Cameron D. Slater

Cameron D. Slater - arrested for allegedly shooting and killing Toby L. Britton, 35.

Read More

DECATUR — Bond was set at $1 million for Cameron D. Slater, a 22-year-old man who was arrested Monday morning for allegedly shooting and killing Toby L. Britton, 35, on Sunday night.

Slater appeared before Circuit Judge Hugh Finson on Tuesday morning.

“Mr. Slater, earlier today I read the sworn statement of a police officer and found probable cause for your arrest for first-degree murder,” the judge said.

Agreeing with prosecutor Tiffany Williams’ bond recommendation, Finson set Slater’s bond at $1 million.

At 9:58 p.m. Sunday, Decatur patrol officers responded to the area of the 700 block of West Harper Avenue after 911 calls reported multiple gunshots fired.

When emergency personnel arrived, Britton was found lying on the ground in front of 728 W. Harper Ave., the apparent victim of gunfire, according to Deputy Police Chief Dave Dickerson.

A witness who was in the area at the time of the shooting told officers that he heard gunshots from the area of 728 W. Harper Ave.

“The witness stated that they observed a single black male running from the front of 728 W. Harper Ave.,” according to an arrest affidavit by Decatur detective Joe Patton. “The witness observed the black male get into the driver’s side of a vehicle.”

The witness said Slater then drove from 728 W. Harper Ave. to a residence in the 1800 block of East Lawrence Street.

“The witness then observed the single black male suspect exit the driver’s side (of the vehicle) with a handgun in his hand and go into (the residence),” Patton wrote. “The witness then heard the black male suspect telling another subject, using street slang, that he just shot Britton. The witness stated they knew the suspect to be Cameron D. Slater.”

The witness was able to pick Slater out of a photo lineup. Neighborhood residents also were able to confirm the witness’ account.

Additionally, two witnesses who were present inside 728 W. Harper Ave. when the shooting occurred told police that they “saw Britton go outside and overheard Britton having a heated verbal disagreement with a subject just before they heard multiple gunshots fired,” wrote Patton. “The witnesses then went outside and found Britton shot in front of the house and called police.”

Britton was transported by ambulance to Decatur Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead at 10:24 p.m. Sunday in the emergency room from apparent gunshot trauma, Macon County Coroner Michael Day said.

An autopsy, performed Monday afternoon on Britton at the McLean County Morgue, revealed he was shot several times.

“The cause of death was the result of multiple gunshot wounds,” Day said. “The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the head involving the brain, a perforating gunshot wound to the abdomen and a perforating gunshot wound to the upper left leg.”

Slater later turned himself into police and was taken into custody at 7:15 a.m. Monday.

“When brought into the Decatur Police Department, Slater was tearful and advised that he knew of Britton’s death but wanted to speak to an attorney before making a statement about the incident,” Patton wrote.

Slater is scheduled to be arraigned May 14.