Subscribe for 33¢ / day

DECATUR — An overheated electrical device set carpeting on fire in a Decatur home Sunday afternoon, but the incident was dealt with quickly by Decatur Fire Department.

Battalion Chief Jim Ohl said crews were called to the two-story house at 1232 E. Olive St. at 2:58 p.m.

“The resident came home, and there was smoke coming at them, so they called us,” Ohl said.

Firefighters put out the fire, cut out a section of burned carpeting and padding to make sure all traces of fire were gone and then vented the home, clearing from the scene in 20 minutes.

Ohl said an electrical device of some type was left charging under a pile of clothes and overheated, catching the carpet on fire.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Tony Reid at (217) 421-7977. Follow him on Twitter: @TonyJReid

0
0
0
0
0

Macon County Courts Reporter

Macon County courts reporter for the Herald & Review.

Load comments