DECATUR — Heat indices are forecast to reach over 100 degrees today and Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service in Lincoln. A period of high temperatures and humidity caused the weather service to issue a heat advisory until 7 p.m. Tuesday.
High temperatures will be in the lower 90s today and Tuesday, while heat indices peak between 100 and 110 degrees both afternoons, the weather service said.
Several schools in the area, including Decatur and Central A&M, will let out early on Monday and Tuesday due to the high temperatures.
The heat advisory is for the following counties: Cass, Champaign, Christian, Clark, Clay, Crawford, Coles, Cumberland, DeWitt, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fulton, Jasper, Knox, Lawrence, Logan, Macon,Marshall, McLean, Menard, Morgan, Moultrie, Peoria,Piatt, Richland, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott, Shelby, Stark, Tazewell, Vermilion and Woodford.
The heat is expected to break on Tuesday night with the arrival of storms that will continue into Wednesday. Storms are also possible Friday through Saturday night, according to the service.
The NWS provided these suggestions for staying safe in the high temperatures.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Reduce strenuous activity, or reserve it until early or late in the day.
- Make sure children and pets are never left unattended in vehicles. Temperatures inside can quickly reach lethal levels.
- If possible, spend time in an air-conditioned environment.
- Check on elderly or sick relatives, neighbors and friends
- Anyone who is outside for long periods of time should take precautions.
The Oasis Day Center, 243 W. Cerro Gordo St. in Decatur, and the Decatur Public Library, 130 N. Franklin St., will be open as cooling centers for those without air conditioning.
The Oasis center is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week, and the library will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In Forsyth, the library is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. as a cooling center.
The Whitmore Community Center in Oreana is open. In Macon, the community center is open if someone calls and needs a cool area. The phone number is (217) 764-3643.