Try 1 month for 99¢

DECATUR — Fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the building and contents at 240 S. 22nd Street early Tuesday.

No one was found inside the building, a former fire station that had been converted to a business and apartment, the fire department said in a statement. The department was dispatched at 12:38 a.m. and arrived six minutes later.

Decatur police officers were on scene first and forced the front door to search the first floor. When firefighters arrived, they saw heavy fire showing from the second-floor windows. They fought the fire and searched the second floor.

The department said the fire started in a second-floor laundry area and was caused by a clothes dryer. The fire was controlled by 1:17 a.m.

While responding to the incident on 22nd Street, firefighters also were sent to a second fire at 1145 W. Arbor. They found that a sprinkler system had already put out a fire in the facility’s kitchen, so that building suffered minimal damage, the department said.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments