During a weekend that saw another mass shooting and a person shot by a Chicago police officer, at least 73 people were shot, 12 of them fatally in the city, according to police and Tribune records.
Five men were injured in a mass shooting in South Austin early Sunday, the fourth such attack with four or more victims in less than a week. The men, ages 23 to 50, were gathered in a yard in the 4800 block of West Race Avenue when a man with a gun entered the yard around 12:30 a.m. and began shooting at them, police said in a media notification.
Later that night, a male was shot as he ran from tactical officers making a street stop in Bronzeville.
In other shootings Sunday into Monday:
- A 31-year-old man was found on a street in the 300 block of East 69th Place in the Park Manor neighborhood with gunshot wounds to the back about 3:30 a.m., Monday morning. He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center and listed in fair condition, police said.
- About 3:05 a.m., a 41-year-old man was shot by someone in a blue sedan in the 2100 block of West 72nd Place in the West Englewood neighborhood. He suffered a gunshot wound to the left arm and a graze wound to the back, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center where he was listed in good condition.
- On Sunday evening, about 11:40 p.m., a 29-year-old man was shot in the neck and back in the 200 block of West 47th Street in the Bronzeville neighborhood while traveling in his vehicle. He was unresponsive when he was found and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was listed in critical condition, police said.
- A man, 33, was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center after being shot while walking around 11:20 p.m. in the 5500 block of South Indiana Avenue in the Washington Park neighborhood. He suffered a gunshot wound to the ankle and was listed in good condition, police said.
- Two girls, 17 and 18, were shot at a gathering about 10:10 p.m. in the 700 block of South Washtenaw Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood. The 17-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the left leg and the 18-year-old suffered two gunshot wounds to the arm and one gunshot wound to the leg. Both girls were taken to Stroger Hospital, police said.
- A 28-year-old man was shot near a sidewalk in the 4000 block of West Wilcox Street in the West Garfield Park neighborhood around 7:00 p.m., police said. He suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder and took himself to Loretto Hospital in fair condition.
- A woman, 20, was shot by someone while she was sitting inside her vehicle about 7:40 p.m. in the 5700 block of South Elizabeth Street in the Englewood neighborhood, police said. She suffered a gunshot wound in the facial area and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition.
- At 7:05 p.m., a 65-year-old man was shot in the 4200 block of West Fullerton in the Belmont Gardens neighborhood. The man suffered a graze wound to the shoulder, police said.
- A man, 35, was shot by someone in a grey sedan about 5:50 p.m. when he was sitting in his vehicle in the 800 block of North Homan Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and was pronounced at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- A 26-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body in the 9700 block of South Avenue L in the East Side neighborhood at 5:45 p.m., police said. The man was in a car with three males when they began shooting at other males on a porch. The males on the porch shot at the car, striking the 26-year-old. The man was pronounced at the University of Chicago Medical Center.