BLOOMINGTON — Registered voters who live anywhere in McLean County except the city of Bloomington can begin early voting in the April 6 consolidated election on Thursday.
Ballots can be cast at the
Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts, 600 N. East St. The BCPA will be open for early voting 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Bloomington voters can begin early voting for city and county consolidated election bids at the BCPA on March 12.
Early voting for all McLean County consolidated election contests will end April 5.
Election day is April 6. All voters who did not early vote or vote by mail can vote at their polling place. Voters can find their polling place by entering their address at
Residents who wish to vote early (starting Thursday for McLean County and March 12 for the city Bloomington), but are not registered to vote, can fill out a registration form at the BCPA or the McLean County Clerk's office, room 102 in the McLean County Government Center, 115 E. Washington St.
City of Bloomington voters can also fill out a registration form at the Bloomington Election Commission office, room 403 in the McLean County Government Center.
Using this option before March 10 will not allow voters to register and vote on the same day.
After March 10, all non-registered residents who want to vote early can utilize same-day voter registration. This option will be available at the BCPA and the county clerk's office.
Those who want to register to vote must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old and a resident of the precinct for at least 30 days. They must also bring two forms of identification.
Voter registration can be checked online at
Registered voters can also vote by mail. Non-Bloomington voters can request a mail-in ballot at
Bloomington voters can request a mail-in ballot at
All mail-in ballots must be postmarked by April 6 or returned to election authorities on Election Day.
26 Bloomington-Normal restaurants from years past
26 Bloomington-Normal restaurants from years past
Aleta Jane's Cafe
After 14 years in business, Aleta Jane Nord closed her restaurant, Aleta Jane's Cafe, 803 Morrissey Drive, Bloomington, in 2016.
Arnie's was a popular Twin City eatery for 25 years. Located at the Bloomington airport terminal, it closed in 2003, shortly after the Central Illinois Regional Airport moved to its current location about a mile east. A subsequent restaurant, Arnie's Etc., was open for about a year in the former terminal building, until it closed in 2005.
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, seen in this February 1979 Pantagraph ad, operated at Landmark Mall in Normal.
Bennigan's, which billed itself as an "Irish American Grill & Tavern," closed its Normal location in July 2008 after the chain filed for bankruptcy. The eatery, 115 S. Veterans Parkway, was replaced by Wild Berries, which was later closed and razed.
Bombay Bicycle Club
Bombay Bicycle Club was a hugely popular restaurant and bar in the 1980s. The extensive menu featured foods from around the world: potato skins and fried veggies, chicken, fish, and Cajun fried shrimp, steak, quesadillas, guacamole, and more. The building originally opened in 1977 as a Smuggler's Inn. It was converted to a Bombay Bicycle Club in 1984. Over the years, new restaurants came to this location. The property was also the home of Oriental Buffet & Grill, Prescott's and the Wildcat Brewery Co.
In 2004, the structure at 305 N. Veterans Parkway was razed. In its place today are three restaurants: Noodles & Co., Chipotle Mexican Grill and Meat Heads.
Pictured is Edward Kruse, the manager of Bombay Bicycle Club, in August 1991.
The former Central Station restaurant in downtown Bloomington was once a firehouse in days gone by.
Chevys Fresh Mex
Chevys Fresh Mex, 704 S. Eldorado Road, Bloomington, closed in 2011 after being open nearly nine years. The site has also been home to several other restaurants, including a House of Hunan, Shakey's Pizza and Butterfields.
Damon's - The Place for Ribs opened in 1995 at 1701 Fort Jesse Road, Normal. The eatery closed in 2006 after business had declined; the site is now a CVS pharmacy.
Delgado's, a popular Mexican restaurant at 201 Landmark Drive, Normal, closed in May 2005 after after 24 years in business. It is now the location of Los Portrillos.
After 33 years in the heart of Normal, Golden West closed in 2002, after the owners received a surprise offer for the site and decided it was time to sell. The building, 712 S, Kingsley St., was later resold to Tartan Realty and demolished in 2003.
Grammercy Park was at 608 N. Main St. in Bloomington. It operated from October 1989 to January 1992.
The historic Grand Hotel, 1201 E. Emerson St., Bloomington, once served as a winter training quarters for a number of circus acts and was converted into a restaurant in 1937. The property was foreclosed upon by Pontiac National Bank in 2001, sold in 2002 and demolished a few months later.
The Ground Round, at 502 IAA Drive, closed in 1996 after 17 years in Bloomington.
Jerry's Grille opened in 1999 in Bloomington's Brandtville shopping center, taking over the spot used by another eatery, Henry Wellington. It closed it 2005 and then became Goodfellas, which also closed.
Kep's Country Kitchen
Kep's Country Kitchen, 506 IAA Drive, in Bloomington closed in 2015.
After eight years at 407 N. Hershey Road, Bloomington, Ming's closed in 2012. The eatery was facing foreclosure at the time.
Mountain Jack's operated at 706 Eldorado Road from 1993 to 1996. It previously was a Carvers and Bonanza.
The Mr. Quick restaurant at Clinton and Washington streets had its grand opening in January 1966, with burgers starting at 15 cents and coffee for a dime a cup. The restaurant closed in 2001 and the city of Bloomington later bought the site and razed the building so it could widen the intersection.
Australian-themed Ned Kelly's Steakhouse opened in May 1992 in what was the former location of Bob Knapp's in the Brandtville Center. It closed in August 2007.
The popular Italian restaurant in The Parkway shopping center in Bloomington opened in 1991 and closed four years later when owner Richard Kurtz opened Richard's in downtown Bloomington.
Shakey's Pizza Restaurant operated at 704 Eldorado Road in Bloomington from 1986 to 1992. The building also housed Sirloin Stockade, Butterfield's, Redmondo's and Eldorado Dining Co.
Smiling Moose operated at 706 S. Eldorado Road from 1999 to 2002.
Once the Sinorak ruled.
It was what they called a smorgasbord (or a one-price, all-you-can-eat cafeteria) at the south edge of Bloomington. Pete Karonis owned it and named his place after himself, Sinorak being Karonis spelled backwards.
You could get roast beef, fried chicken, ham, pork chops, salads, steamed vegetables, chunks of watermelon and big ol' scoops of cottage cheese until your eyes changed color. People lined up practically into the parking lot just for the pleasure of passing through those food lines and filling their plates and bowls to overflowing, oohing and aahing over this delectable or that delight. You could get as much as you wanted and it still only cost the same.
Pictured is a serving table at the restaurant. Diners served themselves; lunch was served from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for 95 cents, and dinner was serve from 5 to 9 p.m. for $1.65.
The site originally was the Phil-Kron drive-in theater and restaurant, which opened in 1947. The restaurant name later was changed to Sinorak. The drive-in was purchased by the Kerasotes theater chain in 1958. It closed in 1984, after being damaged in a fire that destroyed the vacant Sinorak.
White Horse Inn
The White Horse Inn, seen in this October 1978 Pantagraph ad, was at 709 S. Main St. in Normal.
popular for serving Greek food, gyros and breakfast, closed in 2015 after its location at 603 Dale St., Normal, was sold to a developer. The eatery first opened in 1983 around the corner at 707 S. Main St.
Contact Timothy Eggert at (309) 820-3276. Follow him on Twitter: @TimothyMEggert